Prev: Snipers, Mr. Sarno! Next: RE: GZG Online Catalogue

Re: Air Superiority Boardgame (OT)

From: Michael Llaneza <maserati@f...>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 22:07:11 -0800
Subject: Re: Air Superiority Boardgame (OT)

Yup, and I'm hoping CoA brings out a Pacific War module to round things
out.

More on topic, I think those rules would be an excellent starting
point for a ruleset starring grav tanks. I always thought Centurion
fell flat, and DSII and Striker (both versions of Striker, and DSII
and S-II are eerily similar, necessarily since they share design
objectives and some philosophies) almost get there.

The big advantage of JD Webster's games is the scale. AirSup and
AirStrike have 1/3 nautical mile hexes and 15 second turns (1
hex/turn = 100knots airspeed). In Striker II, the biggest plasma gun
has an effective range of 4km, or 12 hexes. It's dangerous out to 24.
That's a comfortable scale when a tank flying at 500 knots is moving
5 hexes. Terrain becomes very important (I've got a USGS map of
Sonoma County, CA set aside for grav tanks). You probably wind up
playing hide and seek, running RPV recon drones out, and maneuvering
for a kill.

I think there's a fun game in there somewhere. Once I get around to
making some unit cards and something resembling rules, I'll post 'em.

At 9:14 AM -0500 12/6/99, Phillip Atcliffe wrote:
>On Sun, 05 Dec 1999 06:35:15 -0500 Jon Davis <DavisJE@nycap.rr.com>
>wrote:
>
>>  DracSpy@aol.com wrote:
>>>  Who made that game [Air Superiority] and is it still available? <<
>
>>  It was published by Game Designers Workshop, the same folk who
>published the Traveller RPG, Imperium, and Triplanetary. They are out
>of business and the game is out of print. <
>
>But _not_ unavailable, I think. The designer (J.D. Webster) bought the
>remaining stock of AirSup and the AtG module Air Strike as part of
>getting the rights back from GDW, and sells them (boxless) from home. I
>can check and pass on more details if Steven or anyone else is
>interested.
>
>The game itself evolved into the "The Speed of Heat", a
>1940's-to-Vietnam-era game published by Clash of Arms Games. JD keeps
>telling us that "Standing Guard", a module covering European aircraft,
>is coming, but no-one knows when. CoA also have two WW2 games designed
>by JD which use a similar flight model.
>
>Phil
>"We gotta get out into Space / If it's the last thing we ever do!"
>    -- Return to the Forbidden Planet
>A sentiment echoed by Phil Atcliffe (Phillip.Atcliffe@uwe.ac.uk)

Michael Carter Llaneza
Devolution is very real to me.
Like most emails, this one is probbaly a first draft
http://www.flash.net/~maserati/

Prev: Snipers, Mr. Sarno! Next: RE: GZG Online Catalogue