Prev: RE: SG II Snipers and the spirit of the game [CLEAN STAMP] Next: RE: [FT] ANNOUNCE new NSL ship pictures

Re: SG II Snipers and the spirit of the game

From: Michael Sarno <msarno@p...>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 13:09:27 -0500
Subject: Re: SG II Snipers and the spirit of the game

Kevin,
    Here's how our house rules handle the sniper situation.  First, we
don't allow the sniper to score an automatic suppression.  Nothing in
combat is automatic, so we rule that the range die must be at least
twice the value on the highest die rolled by the sniper to avoid
suppression.  Otherwise, sniper fire causes suppression.  We also used
open die shifts for small arms fire.  If you have to shift the range die
above d12, first shift the firepower die down one die type.  Once the
firepower die has been shifted down to d4, do the same for the quality
die.  Once get both the firepower and quality dice to d4, you can't
shift any further and no shots are possible.
    This has a very interesting effect.  Beyond a certain range, the
quality die of the sniper begins to drop.  This results in a greater
chance for the sniper to roll of '1' on the quality die, thus revealing
his position.  Of course, this is in addition to making the shot that
much more difficult, and if you use the first house rule listed, makes
it less and less likely that the sniper will have any effect.
    Having said all that, I must say that if you're shooting at a target
with absolutely no chance to hit, not even a game mechanism for it, I'd
have a hard time explaining how you'd cause suppression.

-Mike

Cleats Balentine wrote:

> I really must take exception with Owen's inference
> that using a sniper to get suppressions goes against
> the 'spirit of the game.'
>
> In a scenario my group was playing, my platoon was
> charged with blunting a large recon patrol while a
> counter attack was forming.
>
> One of my objectives was to 'slow,' i.e. suppress, as
> many attacking units as possible. So, if I needed to
> pin down a squad at the edge of a heavy forest, you're
> right, I would have my sniper put a round over their
> heads to make them, "keep their heads down."
>
> Even if he couldn't get a kill, he might save the butt
> of one of his buddies by limiting that squads options.
>
> Thanks anyway.
> Kevin
> Thousands of Stores.	Millions of Products.  All in one place.

Michael Sarno

http://vietnam.isonfire.com
Check out the Charlie Company Discussion Group:
Info, resources, and links for RAFM's miniatures
skirmish wargame of infantry combat in Vietnam 1965-1972

"No nation should put the burden of war
 on its military forces alone."
 -General William C. Westmoreland,
		  US Army, retired

Prev: RE: SG II Snipers and the spirit of the game [CLEAN STAMP] Next: RE: [FT] ANNOUNCE new NSL ship pictures