Prev: Re: [FH] Great Powers Next: Re: [FH] Great Powers

[DS] Daleks

From: Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@m...>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 14:55:11 +1000
Subject: [DS] Daleks

G'day guys,

(Sorry about the cross post, but I won't to grab a wider field).

Well I'm finally plunging into DS, I'm not a natural lover of
'modern-like'
wargames so I decided that the only way I was going to be a DSer is to
play
an alien race (same with SG, by the way). I couldn't find any 'greys'
fro
DS, but I did find Daleks ;)

Here are some additional rules I've cobbled together for them - the
HEL/DFFG rules belong to some other inventive soul, thank you who ever
you
were (sorry can't remember who's web page I got them off). I'd love some
feedback on these, are they unbalanced? Have I forgotten anything
important
(some quintessentially Dalek characteristic)?

Thanks

Beth

General design rules:
	Use DFFG/HELs as direct fire weaponary.
	Have no on/off board artillery, but do have ortillery.
	Will use Nukes without conscience if available (i.e. if other
players want
to allow them into the game - probably not generally).
	Heavy weapons Daleks = size one vehicles
	Dalek tanks are available (few in number though - I'm going to
use the GZG
Slammer models for these)
	Larger vehicles = few in number and are saucer shaped (I'm going
to use
the war of the world tripods for these)
	Most of the force will be Daleks "on foot" or in Hoverbouts (see
below)
	All systems purchased will be of the best possible standard
(i.e. SUP) and
have back-ups

Dalek troops: the equivalent of human 'power armour'

Movement/Terrain effects: Daleks 'on foot' have a base movement factor
of
6" with the following terrain modifications (assuming they have
grav-like
"attractavon" to allow them to move over the ground/up stairs etc) :
Easy = Roads
Normal = Open, Light Scrub, Cultivated, Urban, Hills, Light Woods
Poor = Rough, Swamp
Difficult = Dense woods, Mountainous, Rivers/Streams (crossing only)
Impassable = Open Water (unless amphibious)

Amphibious: Cost +10 per team and allows for Easy movement in Open
Water,
Poor in Rivers and Difficult in Swamps, all other terrain types are
impassable.

Hoverbouts (individual grav sleds): Cost +40 per team and give the unit
the
same mobility as a VTOL.

Suicide Daleks: As their action for the turn a unit of suicide Daleks
may
detonate themselves. The player must declare that this is occurring and
then anything within a 2" blast radius (measured from the centre of the
squad) is said to be affected. Infantry elements take damage as if under
HEF artillery attack, while vehicles take damage as per direct fire
attacks, with RED/YELLOW chits being valid as are any "special" damage
chits. 4 chits are drawn regardless of whether the target element is
infantry or a vehicle.

Pyro-Daleks: Cost +50 per team. As their action for the turn the unit
may
set fire to a building/vegetation/other flammable materials, to do this
place a fire/smoke marker up to 1" from the unit - 2" of smoke extends
downwind from that point. On each subsequent turn, unless extinguished
by
weather or engineering teams, the smoke from the fire increases by 2"
(up
to a maximum of 6").
These weapons may also be used to fire at infantry and vehicles, though
they have little real effect against the latter. If attempting ranged
fire
the range is 3" and they pull 2 chits and the damage validities are:
Target Element			Chit Validity
Normal Infantry 		RED and YELLOW
Power Armour				RED chits only
Vehicles					"special" damage chits
only
When these weapons are involved in close assault, they draw 4 chits and
use
the damage validities as per infantry close assault:
Target Element Cover			Chit Validity
OPEN						RED, YELLOW and GREEN
SOFT COVER					RED and YELLOW
DUG IN or URBAN AREA		RED chits only

APSWs: Daleks do not use the same kind of APSWs as humans rather they
use a
smaller version of their main vehicle weapons DFFGs and HELs, these have
the following breakdowns:
APSW Type		Cost	Capacity	Range		# Chits
DFFG				8	       1
6"		     4
HEL				8	       1
30"		     2
During ranged fire, damage validities as per infantry firefights:
Target Element Cover		Chit Validity
OPEN					RED and YELLOW
SOFT COVER				RED chits only
DUG IN or URBAN AREA		YELLOW chits only
When used in close assault, use the damage validities as per infantry
close
assault:
Target Element Cover			Chit Validity
OPEN						RED, YELLOW and GREEN
SOFT COVER					RED and YELLOW
DUG IN or URBAN AREA		RED chits only

Confidence/Reaction Test Modifiers: Dalek psychology gives them a -1
stress
level to all confidence/reaction tests. Daleks never panic.

----
----
Elizabeth Fulton
c/o CSIRO Division of Marine Research
GPO Box 1538
HOBART
TASMANIA 7001
AUSTRALIA
Phone (03) 6232 5018 International +61 3 6232 5018
Fax 03 6232 5053 International +61 3 6232 5053

email: beth.fulton@marine.csiro.au

Prev: Re: [FH] Great Powers Next: Re: [FH] Great Powers