Prev: Re: The GZG Digest V1 #608 Next: Re: Boarding combat

Boarding actions

From: kaladorn@f...
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 18:50:14 -0500
Subject: Boarding actions

Roger wrote:

I'm going to shoot back, mostly because I grew up with firearms.  Most
of the people I knew in the Navy had the Navy bootcamp firearms
training,
6 shots with a 45 with an insert to shoot .22's, and if you looked=20
crosseyed they kicked you out with no shots.  I personally would be
almost
as afraid of the Navy people on my side as I would be of my
opposition.

** So we share one common theme - fear of having Naval personel with
firearms running loose.... (grin). Though I have a friend who was on
our Naval Reserve unit's Rifle Team and those guys could hit stuff
with pistol and rifle and they were trained for Boarding Actions.

** I just want to make one comment to what Oerjan wrote:

1. 100,000kg = 1 BF.... ouch. Even awake your marines must be wearing
unobtainium knickers. 1 Mass for a BF... how many guys do you imagine
this is? Under the worst rules I've seen, this would be 5 marines
awake all the time. Under the most liberal (and probably a little more
to the point), I'd say it was 25 marines awake all the time.

2. Sadly, in that same vein, crew units are what - 4 to ten guys? So
you can't justify a huge defence force on the FT ship. So a dedicated
Marine assault force is nasty nasty nasty! But it won't get used a
lot - probably get potted on a threshold before it can do its job....

Fortunately, it should be hard to board. When it does happen, if the
boarders are professional marines in PA with IPGs, Lasers, and various
aides (been discussing these with Tom Anderson lately), the defenders
(if they don't have Marines) are in a world of trouble. Attackers have
firepower, armour, and nasty dispositions on their side. The defenders
have home field advantage, but poorer troops and kit (as a rule,
unless it is defending Marines).

Thomas Barclay
Software UberMensch
xwave solutions
(613) 831-2018 x 3008

Prev: Re: The GZG Digest V1 #608 Next: Re: Boarding combat