Prev: Re: Boarding combat Next: RE: DS2 damage chart?

Re: [FT] SMLs and Banzai Jammers

From: Roger Books <books@m...>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 1999 13:40:41 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] SMLs and Banzai Jammers

"Izenberg, Noam" wrote:

> Let's take that combat example. IF had 2 BCs and a cruiser with a
total of
> 19 C2's, plus an escort with 2C3's.
> A wave attack with closure to just under 24" would have been likely
able to
> eliminate 9 or all 10 (depending on the number of FC's) of the NI
escort
> scouts, at the very least leaving gaping holes for the SM's to take.
The
> attacking force would have taken a beating - likely concentrated on
one of
> the larger or the two smaller ships, (leaving the missile ships free
> close)  or the NI would have tried to fire through to the missile
ships
> (leaving the beams to close to close range).
>
> Or something else could have happened.

Yes, an opponent with a clue will close the distance and you will loose
those big fragile SML's heavily on threshold checks.  SML's, the only
system that rolls twice for threshold checks.

> I guess I disagree. It depends how you go about it. Which would be
scenario
> specific. If you brought a couple class 3 or even class 4 potshooters
along
> and kept them at max range, you could slowly pick off the soaks before
> closing distance. If you're SM equipped, chances are you're more
> maneuverable and faster (like FSE) and can be the one to pick the time
when
> the forces close.

Doesn't really work that way, in order to keep distance you must run
away
from your opponents.  You don't hurt them much when you are waving your
rear in their faces. :)

Roger

Prev: Re: Boarding combat Next: RE: DS2 damage chart?