Prev: Re: [OT]Naval Warfare the case for the BB Next: Re: The GZG Digest V1 #608

Re: Way Way Way OT )Stealth and Countermeasures..For Ray

From: Alan E and Carmel J Brain <aebrain@d...>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 1999 12:49:45 +1000
Subject: Re: Way Way Way OT )Stealth and Countermeasures..For Ray

Geoffery R wrote:

> "Eventually we ran out of
> ammunition before they ran out off tanks."
>
> And that in a nut shell is Quanty Vs Quality.

"Quantity has a Quality of its own"
- Josef Vissarionich Dzugashvili aka Stalin

There's another matter, logistics.

I had a good talk to a senior officer of the Thai armed forces on this
one, re the benefits of getting 120 odd crappy Chinese T-59s vs half a
dozen Leopard IIs.
The T-59s might have about 50 operational at any one moment, whereas the
Superior German Technology would have 5 (with the right maintenance).
But a T-59 can be fixed in an auto shop. And although 1 Leopard-II would
easily deal with 100+ T-59s under most circumstances (if supplied with
enough ammunition), after a march through bad terrain, you'd be lucky to
have one left that didn't need repair. Same with the T-59s, but they
didn't need the extensive infrastructure, and could be repaired to an
adequate standard "in situ". And they get plenty of practice!
He was surprised when I agreed with him that the Thai approach made
sense _for them_. For Germany or the US, where tank crews are more
valuable and costly than tanks, Hi-Tech is the way to go, the higher the
better.
--
	      http://www2.dynamite.com.au/aebrain
 abrain@cs.adfa.edu.au o O*OO^^^^OO*O o oo     oo oo	 oo

Prev: Re: [OT]Naval Warfare the case for the BB Next: Re: The GZG Digest V1 #608