Prev: Re: Subject: Colonial powers and battles Next: [FT] ANNOUNCE - new 3D Model / gallery

Re: Stealth and Countermeasures...

From: Ryan M Gill <monty@a...>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 22:01:02 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Stealth and Countermeasures...

On Tue, 7 Dec 1999, Imre A. Szabo wrote:

> There is no reason why can't have a massive number of mini-attenas the
size of
> cellular phone.  All the electronics to make it work would be below
the armor,
> so you would end having to blast the ship from on end to the other.
Easy to
> do if the ship is in port, but quite difficult if she is free to
maneuver.

Get a single large HE burst there and most of your cellular antennas are

toasted. Literally. If an exocet sprays buring fuel all over your ship
with it does a terminal dive into the side I sincerly doubt that you
will
have much in the way of commo active at that point.

Also something to note, big big explosions rock systems and dismount
anything not really really bolted down. Sometimes even things bolted
down
get misaligned.

> Use multiple electric propulsars and you don't have the shaft problem.
> Civilian ships have been using them for years.  It is past time for an
> experimental live fire test to see how they would hold up to damage.

What are you talkling about? Electric drive? All ships have props unless

someone has reverted to side paddles or slipped a mag prop ion drive
system past me.

> building a new capital ship.	A carrier wouldn't be alive.

WWII. The Yorktown survived quite a pounding and was still being
recoverd
with a massive hole in her side plus several bomb holes in her deck.
Another set of torps finished her during her recovery when a japanese
submarine found her under salvage.

- Ryan Montieth Gill	  NRA / DoD# 0780 (Smug #1) / AMA / SOHC -
- ryan.gill@turner.com	    I speak not for CNN, nor they for me -
- rmgill@mindspring.com 	     www.mindspring.com/~rmgill/ -
- '85 Honda CB700S  -  '72 Honda CB750K  - '76 Chevy MonteCarlo  -

Prev: Re: Subject: Colonial powers and battles Next: [FT] ANNOUNCE - new 3D Model / gallery