Prev: RE: Too easy Next: RE: Too easy

RE: [FT] SMLs and Banzai Jammers

From: "Bell, Brian K" <Brian_Bell@d...>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 11:38:23 -0500
Subject: RE: [FT] SMLs and Banzai Jammers

Replies marked by [Bri]

-----
Brian Bell
bkb@beol.net
-----

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Tim Jones [SMTP:Tim.Jones@Smallworld.co.uk]
> Sent: Tuesday, December 07, 1999 11:19 AM
> To:	gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU
> Subject:	RE: [FT] SMLs and Banzai Jammers
>
> >1) Reduce the mass of Salvos
>
> Play balance nightmare?

[Bri] I don't think so. It just doubles the nubmer of "shots" tha the
launcher has, not the number that can be placed on the target in one
round.
As SM's are now they are good for one or two rounds. This would extend
the
use to 2-3 rounds. Not that big of a difference, but would remove the
pesky
Banzai Jammers the first round. As SM's are not that long ranged (same
as
Class-3), By the 2nd round of use your are being hit by thier heavy
weapons
as well.

> >2) Move the Launch Salvo Missiles phase to after the Move
> >Ships phase
>
> too rad weapon mechanic re-design
>
> >3) Allow a FCS to be dedicated to missile control.
>
> This is the best IMO. Adding the can't be used for other
> weapons should offset the slight imbalance from the original
> rules that allow the FCS to be usd for other weapons but
> pick the nearest target.

[Bri] I did not explain this one very well. I meant to use the same
mechanic
as Pulse Torpedos. Use of the FCS for SM dedication precludes the use of
it
for other purposes this turn. Sorry that I was not clear. This was
suggested
by someone else, I believe, as well.

> >4)  For extra cost (not mass) allow SM's for a SHIP, to be of the
> >"dispersal" type.
>
> More types, more SSD/design changes.
>
> >6) Change the targeting rule from "attacks nearest ship" to "divide
the
> >damage among all ships in range".
>
> As suggested before, not bad as you say complicates PDS.
>
> >7) Allow SM's to be set for a Mass range.
>
> need fuzzy limits on the bands +/- 10 MASS? Need different SML
counters
> for bands.

[Bri] I think that fuzzy bands adds an extra roll to the game. Missiles
already have a lot of dice rolling associated with them (PDS and
damage),
adding another one is unappealing. I would prefer to incoporate it into
the
damage phase. Either by subtracting 1 from each die rolled for damage,
or
ignoring 6's. No extra rolling, but alows for the "fuzzy" feel as some
missiles misjudge the mass. I would allow the range to be set on the fly
one of the range bands rather than create new symbols. However, I would
also
require that all salvos launched in a turn from a given ship be set to
the
same range band.