Prev: Re: [FT] SMLs and Banzai Jammers Next: Re: Damage Control and CVs

Re: Ortillery platforms

From: Robert Crawford <crawford@k...>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 22:43:24 -0500
Subject: Re: Ortillery platforms

On Mon, Dec 06, 1999 at 12:36:46PM -0500, Ryan M Gill wrote:
> I've been thinking about the Ortillery platform/Bomb ketch idea. Why
not
> a DD or CG sized vessel that has mostly Ortillery, lots of armour, PDS

> low thrust and perhaps a fighter group for Air support? It would be
> fairly self escorting with a fighter group, but that would push the
> cost up and the ortillery availabilty down? Granted this doesn't
deviate
> from what people have proposed already, its merely a futher support of

> such concepts.

	I think most navies would adopt specialized versions -- an
all-ortillery ship for fire support and a mini-carrier for "air
superiority". You gain flexibility, and can make better use of your
supply chain.

--
						crawford@iac.net
"DON'T answer messages that make you feel uncomfortable because

Prev: Re: [FT] SMLs and Banzai Jammers Next: Re: Damage Control and CVs