Prev: RE: DSII for the 2020s Next: RE: DSII for the 2020s

Re: Arty

From: Alan E and Carmel J Brain <aebrain@d...>
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 1999 02:28:33 +1000
Subject: Re: Arty

Scott Uecker wrote:

> > > wheeled SP howitzer types.
> > Old obsolete US 203mm, still used by some despite the 1940s vintage.

> Not sure what you mean by obsolete.  The US Marines used them during
the
> Gulf.

The wheeled (M115), not the SP (M110)'s?

> > largest shell that can be handled manually without cranes etc (by 2
> > people and a cradle.....<SNIP>
>
> or 1 Marine by hand....

As I said, 2 people. US Marines are excluded, as they can walk on
water*, fight a Grizzly bear with one hand tied behind their back** etc.
Everyone who's played OPFOR against 'em knows that. I speak from
personal experience, and a Kangaroo exercise in the late 70's.

But seriously... that's another reason for 155s, shell weight 43.5 kg or
so. It tuckers out the crew pretty quickly though. OK for a Shoot n
Scoot, but I wouldn't like to try this for any length of time.

* I don't say they don't sink, mind you. But they tend to bob to the
surface, and keep their weapons dry.
** And it takes an Australian Reservist who's had a few tinnies to tie
the Grizzly's hand behind his back first, of course.

Regards, all the best to you and your mates, Semper Fidelis, AEB
--
	      http://www2.dynamite.com.au/aebrain
 abrain@cs.adfa.edu.au o O*OO^^^^OO*O o oo     oo oo	 oo

Prev: RE: DSII for the 2020s Next: RE: DSII for the 2020s