Prev: Re: [FT] Fleet Book Volume II Next: Re: Mass Drivers (was GEV and Grav Vehicles)

Re DS/SG Future of Warfare

From: RWHofrich@a...
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 09:59:19 EST
Subject: Re DS/SG Future of Warfare

Okay, here I go being the village crank, but I'm going to have to
postulate a
different future (sort of)...

1.  Most low-intensity fights NOT during major conflicts or incidents
(ie--those instigated by local governors or settlers over a short period
of
time) would be basically light infantry type conflicts.  Basically, this

would be for spur-of-the-moment kind of stuff.	Anything with any
planning or
build-up time involved may bypass this level.

2.  Some minor skirmishes and most attacks during major incidents (not
all-out war, but local stuff supported from outside) could be a mix of
LI/militia and armor-heavy forces.  The reason?  In the GZGverse, power
is
plentiful (and cheap) and anti-grav technology is available.  That means
that
moving mass to orbit is relatively inexpensive (note the use of the term

"relatively").	Furthermore, if we assume that troop pay is consistent
with
current Western levels, we find that salaries are a major part of the
military budget.  Now, if we assume that a lot of equipment can be
designed
either as modular designs or self-repairing smart systems, then the
personnel
drain for maintenance operations can be reasonably low.  This leads to
the
very un-historical point that it may be cheaper to ship lots of heavy
equipment and just a few troops, than loads of troops and just a little
equipment, once salaries are taken into account.  Think of a system like
modified version of Maritime Prepositioned Equipment, though for
different
reasons than currently used by the US.	Also note that this approach
could
vary between nations--the ESU could be mostly LI for expeditionary
forces
(assuming cheap wages) while the NAC could be more heavily weighted
toward
mechanized and PA forces (due to the need for transporting the most
firepower
for the least manpower).

3.  All-out war--anything goes--heavies for major assaults or defending
key
locations while LI/militia handle "routine" planetary duties or support
the
heavies.

Please also understand that I'm not saying this is the only way to go.
I'm
just suggesting that we need to not look at things just from the
currently
popular perspective.  Also, I am a former Marine so while LI is my
preferred
approach--not those big heavy targets people seem to like driving
around--but
we need to look at our assumptions when pointing out how we think the
future
will go.

Anyhow, that's my 2 pennies worth.

Rob

Prev: Re: [FT] Fleet Book Volume II Next: Re: Mass Drivers (was GEV and Grav Vehicles)