Prev: RE: Stealth & Names Next: Re: [Fwd: flanker New China Radar technology threatens US Stealth Aircraft!]

Re: Just what will we see on the GZGVerse battlefield?

From: Robert Crawford <crawford@k...>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 11:55:16 -0500
Subject: Re: Just what will we see on the GZGVerse battlefield?

On Wed, Dec 01, 1999 at 02:38:27AM -0500, Adrian Johnson wrote:
> I agree.  There have been several military-sci-fi authors who have
explored
> this sort of idea in detail, and most of them (Drake being a notable
> exception) seem to suggest that most fights on distant colony worlds
will
> be foot-infantry with little/no "heavy support".

	Drake points out that the mercenary forces like Hammers
are centered on high-tech worlds, are rare, and are usually the
deciding factor once brought in. Most of the native forces are
infantry-heavy; it appears to be cheaper to hire mercs for the
duration of wars than to build and maintain native armored forces.

--
						crawford@iac.net
"DON'T answer messages that make you feel uncomfortable because

Prev: RE: Stealth & Names Next: Re: [Fwd: flanker New China Radar technology threatens US Stealth Aircraft!]