Prev: Re: Just what will we see on the GZGVerse battlefield? Next: Re: GEV and Grav Vehicles

[sg2 ds2] Re: OrBat SG2

From: Tom Anderson <thomas.anderson@u...>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 13:39:09 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: [sg2 ds2] Re: OrBat SG2

On Mon, 29 Nov 1999, Roger Books wrote:

> It seems to me that it would be worthwhile having 2 or 3 rifle
> platoons and a single platoon of PA.	Is this not done because
> of maintenance reasons or does it just not give the correct
> feel since nobody seems to do this?

i think the islamic fed forces do this (for their elites), but i can't
provide a url, i'm afraid.

in addition, consider this: if you have 3 rifle sections and 1 PA
section
and a company, then 1/4 of your force is PA. given that most powers can
field relatively little PA, this seriously limits the size of this
composite force. to put it another way, if you used this oob for an
entire
army, you'd need to spend a *lot* more on PA than most forces. now, one
PA
section in the battalion HQ (more like 1/16 then) would be much easier.
of
course, if you just use this OOB for the elites (like the IF), you'd be
fine.

it might also be a case of fitting roles; PA are usually used in the
vanguard, leading assaults, being the first onto planets, etc. thus, PA
units are operationally more mobile, being shipped about from place to
place to do short, sharp jobs rather than staying on one front for weeks
or months. thus, attaching PA at company level would hamstring them.
again, since elite units tend to move around more, using this OOB for
them
should work.

tom

Prev: Re: Just what will we see on the GZGVerse battlefield? Next: Re: GEV and Grav Vehicles