Prev: Re: [Fwd: flanker New China Radar technology threatens US Stealth Aircraft!] Next: Re: A good altitude for Ortillery? Math and astrophysics guys help out

Re: SG2/DS2 artillery/CBR/Designators

From: Samuel Reynolds <reynol@p...>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 23:12:39 -0700
Subject: Re: SG2/DS2 artillery/CBR/Designators

>Brian Bell wrote:
>
>> Greetings!
>>
>> On future and present day battlefields, how long does Counter-Battery
>
>> Radar (CBR) last? It would seem that as soon as the radar is switched
>
>> on there would be a shell, rocket, or missile in the air to remove
>it.
>
>Very good question, that one. I'm particularly intrigued by how passive
>CB detectors are supposed to work - ie, those that don't turn the radar
>on before they've already detected enemy rounds :-/

Multi-receiver complex interferometers.
Even a spread-spectrum radar is a hot radiator if you're
building a broadband, 2D or 3D complex passive map (though
you do have to calculate out the time delays as well as the
phase shifts). Of course, it requires tight timing
synchronization, but they've been doing that with
radiotelescopes for years--though there they record
the data and post-calculate instead of doing it in real-time.

You can do it with stationary or moving receivers.
The more receivers, the better. For a small to moderate
area of interest, you could use numerous drones, for example.

- Sam
Samuel Reynolds
Spinward Stars: http://www.spinwardstars.com/
Reynolds Virtual Workshop: http://www.primenet.com/~reynol