Prev: Re: [Fwd: flanker New China Radar technology threatens US Stealth Aircraft!] Next: RE: [Fwd: flanker New China Radar technology threatens US Stealth Aircraft!]

RE: [Fwd: flanker New China Radar technology threatens US Stealth Aircraft!]

From: "Steve Gill" <Steve@c...>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 19:21:20 -0000
Subject: RE: [Fwd: flanker New China Radar technology threatens US Stealth Aircraft!]

Ryan M Gill wrote:
> > Having watched missile batteries tracking F117s I don't think
> stealth is that
> > much use on the battlefield. Where it currently appears to be
> most useful is
> > for strikes into enemy areas if the enemy aren't that
technologically
> > advanced.
>
> Was this a rapier battery at an airshow with the F117 in visual range?
> Sure you can track just about anything at visual range. The Difference
> about stealth aircraft is that they are less visible at longer ranges.
> The are more effective at deep strikes into defended airspace than
F15's,
> F111s and other aircraft that don't use as much stealth techniology.

It was a Rapier, but it wasn't an airshow and the F117 was tracked from
well
before visual contact was possible.

You appear to be pretty much agreeing with me about the uses of the
F117, or
are you implying the stealth capability would give it an advantage in
direct
battlefield support?

---
Steve Gill