Prev: Re: SG2/DS2 artillery Next: Now getting OT.... (was:Re: New Confederate States)

GEV and Grav Vehicles

From: kaladorn@f...
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 18:06:30 -0500
Subject: GEV and Grav Vehicles

1) Oerjan is right in a sense - Grav kills other manouvre tech not a
weapons system. My point was it kills ground mobile arty. Arty that
can fly probably uses something more like helicopter armaments
(Mavericks, Hellfires, Rockets, etc) rather than something like a
200mm gun, I'd think. Though there may be a niche for flying arty
platforms that still land to shoot.

2) A tank is loud and noisy. So is a GEV. Either can be made lower in
singature by the application of a) money and b) engineering. Grav
might actually be the quietest and lowest signature possible.

3) Can we build a hovercraft that ways 80 tons, carries the kind of
armour a Leopard II or Challenger or late model Abrams does, mounts a
120-140mm CPR gun or another big main weapon? I have my doubts. If you
could, it'd eat deisel at a far faster rate than even a tank! It has
to pay gas costs to hover - even when it is stationary (if it wants to
not have a lag in getting moving). I think if we had Fusion or
A-Matter power, that'd be a non issue. But with gas engines or power
cells, it is an issue.

4) GEVs can move through swamps and if packing non-recoil weapons
could even fight there. I agree CPR arty would be problematic.

Oerjan, you can cuss me out for making you pick up DS2 - but you
undoubtedly have a lot of first hand info of interest here so I don't
apologize one bit ;)

Thomas Barclay
Software UberMensch
xwave solutions
(613) 831-2018 x 3008

Prev: Re: SG2/DS2 artillery Next: Now getting OT.... (was:Re: New Confederate States)