Prev: SGII: Flamers? Next: RE: SGII: Flamers?

RE: Battle at Camelot Comics and Games--After Action Report

From: Hoferkamp Wayne <Hoferkamp_Wayne@p...>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 13:02:06 -0500
Subject: RE: Battle at Camelot Comics and Games--After Action Report

As the Romanov commander, I thought the battle went pretty well.  We
certainly inflicted a lot of casualties on the enemy, in particular the
four
tanks defending the bridge did a lot of damage and held out for quite a
long
time considering the attention they were receiving from the other side.
There were times when it seemed pretty desperate for our side when it
seemed
like an unending flow of tanks and infantry were advancing on us, but I
think we held out pretty well.

And Frank, your infantry and trucks made it into the main city without
taking any loses and actually participated in several close combats,
faring
pretty well, much better than my marines who lost 75% of their elements
and
ran away.

> > Actually, the force costs were not that far apart--the attackers did
>
> Hmm.	The patrol boats were rather expensive I guess?  Some
> of Wayne's
> tanks were pretty good too.

As I recall the larger patrol boat itself was some 600 points, making it
worth 3 or 4 tanks. The two smaller boats were probably worth 2 tanks
(in
points, not in firepower).  I probably mismanaged the navy somewhat in
the
early game.  For one, I didn't notice the boat's rockets were area
affect
weapons until the last turn or two.

> > >  Question to Rob:  can infantry be organized as a
> separate unit but
> >
> > And yes, infantry can be organized as a separate unit than their
>
> Or it could be done with a reorganize action, but nothing else would
> happen that round for that unit as I recall.	Still, being
> able to set
> them up that way right off would be better I think.

It certainly would have helped the infantry attached to the tanks
holding
our side of the bridge to be a separate unit (how's that for a poorly
constructed sentence).	Once the tanks moved to just behind the hill
leading
to the bridge and parked, they tended to use all of their actions on
opportunity fire on units trying the cross the bridge, meaning they lost
their regular action and couldn't spend an action breaking the infantry
into
a separate unit (or for that matter just moving the infantry to the hill
where they could shoot in support of the tanks).

> > I consider this a victory--yet another miniatures game that Frank is
> > willing  to play...MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA! (evil-souding laugh)
> Soon I shall
> > turn you  completely to the Dark Side...
> >

> Not hardly.  I'll never paint anything.  (If you saw how I
> paint you'd
> understand why).  The minatures were a bit of a pain - they
> kept wanting
> to slide down the hills.  Now, a nice FLAT map would have
> worked nicely.
> With nice FLAT COUNTERs to go on it.	:)

And with hexes you never have to worry about exact measurements to
determine
whether something is in range or not.  On the other hand I like the
freedom
of movement and not having to face in fixed 60 degree angles of
miniatures,
plus the miniatures look better than counters.

Prev: SGII: Flamers? Next: RE: SGII: Flamers?