Prev: Re: FB Ship Construction Next: Re: Battle at Camelot Comics and Games--After Action Report

Re: Battle at Camelot Comics and Games--After Action Report

From: RWHofrich@a...
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 21:42:32 EST
Subject: Re: Battle at Camelot Comics and Games--After Action Report

In a message dated 11/21/99 8:02:25 PM Eastern Standard Time,
oglover@museum.vic.gov.au writes:

> [...]
Report
>  SNIP
>  > I can't speak for the others, but mine boils down to the following:
>  >
>  > 1.  Basic non-familiarity with the system, which includes
>  > figuring the odds,
>  > especially with secondary die rolls involved.
>
>  Ah, the beauty of this game system is that you apply a little more
"real
>  life" approach to the game! Rather than calculating the odds based on
>  matematical considerations try considering Troops to Task and
relevant
>  weapons etc. I think you'll find a more enjoyable game too.

Actually, because of the wide range of weapon systems available, if I
could
figure the odds a little better, then I could actually decide what the
"correct" weapons were for the task at hand (for example, my IFV designs

generally have a GMS and a direct fire weapon--deciding which to use can
be a
pain sometimes, especially when the gun is a DFFG and the range is
medium).

>  >
>  > 2.  Such a system makes it difficult, if not impossible, to
>  > factor in two
>  > modifiers (FMA gets "around" this by just saying you use the
worst).

>  How so? I think I must misunderstand your meaning here. Can you give
an
>  example of two modifiers?

When firing at a target, you only use the largest of the secondary
dice--a
vehicle target in soft cover that is also hull down, for example, only
gets
the benefit of hull down (d10 secondary die vs a d6 secondary die).
This is
detailed on page 29 of Dirtside II.  I think that most people will agree
that
a vehicle that is in cover AND hull down should be just a little harder
hit than one that is just hull down.  Oncew again, I want to make sure
everyone understands that I don't see this as a really big deal, just
one of
the reasons I'm not thrilled with this particular method of doing random

event generation.

Anyway, I just re-read the rules and found out that we had run the
morale
rules wrong in our game--we should have had more broken units by the
end.  Oh
well--C'est la guerre (or some such--I'm not good at frog).

Rob

Prev: Re: FB Ship Construction Next: Re: Battle at Camelot Comics and Games--After Action Report