Prev: Re: SG2/DS2 dice with more than six sides. Next: RE: DS2:basing & measuring range

Re: DS2:basing & measuring range

From: Steven M Goode <gromit+@C...>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 00:56:32 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: DS2:basing & measuring range

Excerpts from mail: 22-Nov-99 DS2:basing & measuring range by David
Tan@colesmyer.com.

> Other than for large and overlarge vehicles (heavy tanks, semi-trailer
cargo
> carriers etc), I have been basing my units including infantry on 3cm
(1
> 1/4") square bases. As there will be different basing conventions and
> opponents with incompatible bases, how have members coped with this
for LOS
> and range purposes.  Do people measure from base edge to base edge or
as I
> will be doing, from centre of the base to opponents centre.  Vehicles
are
> easy as it is model edge to edge but for infantry, measuring from the
centre
> makes more sense.  Any advice appreciated.  Also, do most people have
4
> stands per platoon/unit or 5?

I don't base my vehicles (I think it looks better that way, and they
don't need the base for movement purposes).  My infantry varies (most of
it's Irregular infantry, which comes on bases already).  Basically,
since all the vehicles and infantry stands are small relative to the
ranges they're shooting at, this hasn't struck me as a problem.  Also,
remember that figure scale is different from ground scale.  So those 1"
tanks should really be about 1/8" long, and worrying about whether
they're 1mm within range is, IMO, silly.  Because of these scale
differences and because I agree with St. Jon's exhortation to "play the
game, not the rules", I play that if *any* part of a stand or vehicle is
in range, then the whole stand or vehicle is in range.

The number of vehicles or infantry stands per unit varies from 3 to 5 in
my armies (3 heavy tanks vs. 5 medium tanks vs. 4 APC's with 2 stands of
infantry each).  3 seemed a bit few units to have in a unit (losing one
tank is a big deal) but it wasn't too bad with the heavy (size 5, armor
5) tanks (since they were hard to kill).

Prev: Re: SG2/DS2 dice with more than six sides. Next: RE: DS2:basing & measuring range