Prev: RE: FT the shirt Next: Homeworld Computer Game

Thoughts for NAC vs NSL matches! Aka New tech/Modified FB ships

From: "Charles N. Choukalos" <chuckc@b...>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 14:09:24 -0500
Subject: Thoughts for NAC vs NSL matches! Aka New tech/Modified FB ships

Given my current
NSL/NAC/Kravak fleets (pretty big) with some FSE thrown in that usually
when my group plays..... we usually avoid the NAC fleet because... well
quite frankly they just don't have the firepower to take down the bigger

NSL ships and the kravak usually maul them badly.  They also seem to
lack
the pds defenses to deal with the small FSE fleet that I throw at them (

acutally the SDN + 2*CA usually causes lots o'havoc with SML's )

Anyway, this lead to a serious of splinter scenerios...  The NSL
outcasts
vs NSL and NAC forces.	I have 2 scenerios which pit the NSL outcasts
vaporizing the NAC forces.  However the recent whining about who gets to

play the NSL had me thinking about ways to bolster the NAC forces with
new tech/new ideas.  So here we go.

New Tech
--------
Heavy Beam System (Thanks to Beth Fulton):  Basically same as in the
EFSB.
capacitor rated from 1-6 (# dice it fires).  Cost 3*mass, mass 3*rating.
Projectors fire through 1 arc only, cost 6 mass 2.  Always hits* does 1d

- 1 for every full 6" from firing ship.  Capacitor recharge rate (roll
d6, 1-2 = recharge 2 pts, 3-4 = 3 pts, 5-6 = 4 pts ).  If Capacitor
takes
a threshold then roll d6.  On a 1-4 capacitor discharges but not knocked

out.  On a 5-6, capacitor is knocked out doing 1 pt of damage/point held

in capacitor to ship.
[Something like that..... I don't rember the rules exactly... mabye it
was a 50/50% shot for damage on cap threshold?].  Also subtract the
active screen level from each die of damage.  Aka range 13" against
level-1 screens = d6-3 (1 for screen, 2 for range)

Gatling Beam*  Experimental?!  We didn't really play with this one too
much
treat as a subpak but damage is beam damage, and obviously isn't
expended
after firing.  3 Arcs of fire, Cost 5, mass 1

AutoFire Beam's  * These are pretty neat....interesting application
Just like class-# beams, but cost is 3*'s as much, and mass is 2*'s as
much as
normal class-# beam. Players ship gets 3 shots per battery.  However all

targets are assumed to already have 1 level of shields.  (aka shift beam

rolls over by one screen level, no more then screen-3 effectively (aka a

6 = 1 hit)).
However reroll damage is scored just like regular beams
(4,5=1pt,6=2pt+further reroll).  Also the Class-1 AF beam can fire
against missles & fighters like any normal class-1, but you have 3 shots

versue 1, but the Class-1 AF can only engage 1 fighter group or 1 SM
salvo or 1 MT missle with its 3 shots.

So..

  Class-1 AF beam (360 arc) mass:2 cost:9
  Class-2 AF beam (180 arc) mass:4 cost:18 , (360 arc) mass:6 cost:27
  class-3 AF beam (60 arc)  mass:8 cost:36 , +60 arc +mass:2 +cost:9

Combat example

  Class-1 at range 8" firing at unscreened target (effective lvl-1
screen)
	  1-4 = 0pts  5=1pt 6=2pt+reroll    3 shots
	  (aka 3 dice, can break them up against multiple targets if
there
	       are multiple fire con's available.
  Class-1 at range 6" firing on screen-2 target (effective lvl-3
screen[max])
	  1-5 = 0pts 6=1pt+reroll 3 shots
	  (aka 3 dice, needing 6's to do any damage)

Basically lame against screened targets.... pretty dangerous to
non-screened targets.

What does this mean... both weapons aren't very good against heavily
screened

Cool ideas for the RNS........

Furious Hack = Assult Cruiser
remove Pulsetorp & Class-3 beam.  Add HBS system(Class-2 cap, + 1
projector (f)).  Cost and Mass same.

     * An PDS escourt/HBS assult ship.	This puppy is ment to escourt a
battle
       line ship closing in on a Von Tegethoff or something like that.

Vandenberg Close Assult Cruiser
Drop Drives to MD 4 and remove both class-2 beams.  Add 3*Class-2 AF
beams (rs,ls,fh).  Cost +8 mass the same

     * An interesting Ship... Get close and cause some havoc, but the
class-3
       gives it some plinking power when getting to range

Avalon Hack Assult Ship
Remove all 3 class-3 beams.  Add HBS system(Cap-4,3*projector(2*f,a))
mass and cost the same.

Anyway, my group wanted to explore the idea of the RNS refiting
mothballed ships that it needed to send to track down the NSL outcasts
(which had some big fleet ships... and well... the NAC ships don't doo
so
well going against the NSL big guys... )  So... we said... here's your
fleet:

3*Minerva FF's
3*Ticonderoga DD's
2*Huron CL's
2*Assult Cruisers (Furious Refits)
1*Vandenberg Close Assult Cruiser
1*Avalon Assult Ship

We were trying this as a small strike team against....

1* NSL CVA
1* CA
1* CE
2* CL
4* DD

Anyway....... what does the group think on the AF beams?  or the NAC hbs

ships? We use Cinematic and some of the guys were moping about the high
mass penalty and short range of the HBS system.  They wanted to allow a
multiple arc firing projector.	We had

multi-arch HBS projector.  Mass 2 , 1 arc, + 1 mass/extra arc to 3 arcs
max.  Cost 3*mass.

Any Comments?

Thanks,
chuck

Prev: RE: FT the shirt Next: Homeworld Computer Game