Prev: RE: [FT]: re: Fleet Engagements (Morale) Next: Something a little different in the NI Gallery

[FT]: re: Fleet Engagements (Morale)

From: "David Reeves" <davidar@n...>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 10:23:07 -0500
Subject: [FT]: re: Fleet Engagements (Morale)

this also brings up what i feel is a missing element in most fleet
battles -- morale.  since the player is acting as a fleet
admiral, they only have partial control for how ship captains react
to changing orders or stressful, unexpected situations.

in our universe ships have a morale level that reflect the captain/crew
quality (which may go up or down in campaign games).  morale levels
may be purchased like other ship components. when the ship
reaches the 25%, 50% and 75% damage level, a morale roll is required.
also, the first turn of surprise situations, the ambushed fleet makes
a morale roll.	the fleet admiral may mitigate the rolled result by
causing a reroll.  the fleet admiral has a limited number of rerolls
per game (ripped off from Battlefleet Gothic).	failing a morale roll
causes a ship to retreat until rallied, or even FTL out!  smaller forces
can hit a larger force and escape in the confusion, etc.

the above is a brief explanation of what our group has tried for morale.
the morale concept adds a fun unpredictability to the game and provides
more of a fleet admiral feel to FT.  morale also causes players to think
about the quantity versus quality issue a little more as well.	if
anyone
is interested, i will write up post our morale rules.

david

Prev: RE: [FT]: re: Fleet Engagements (Morale) Next: Something a little different in the NI Gallery