Prev: Transports Next: Re: [ft] fleet roster sizes

ship lists (rosters)

From: kaladorn@f...
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 16:06:44 -0500
Subject: ship lists (rosters)

Jon has pointed out there are many other classes in service, so what
we see in the FB is a representative sample. I'd guess no more than
50% of the total of active ships.

Doug said this seemed like a big economic powerhouse. Even if we
assumed a ZPG from now until 2185, NAC population would be 700 million
or more and it would have many times the economic strength we have
today. At a loose guess, even with conservative expansion of the
economy and a zero population growth, the NAC would easily have 60
times the current GDP of the USA at 300 million. Good growth rates
could result in 200 x. Even with pathetic growth, it'd be 10 x.

And the USA has quite a few hundred ships now, in peace time! If they
were at war pretty steadily for the last 50+ years (various Solar
Wars), they'd be much heavilier committed. And FT ships crews, even at
150, are still a fraction of the size of today's crews. The ships
aren't even that large.

If the population grows correspondingly, you're looking at a tax base
of 5-30 billion (depending on pop math) high-tech taxpayers. That is a
LOT of resources.

So don't be surprised if the FT universe allows for a LOT of ships,
big fleets, and armed conflict in large proportion. It'll help Jon
sell minis! And it justifies all of us one day getting together for a
scenario called The Battle To End All Battles (Ragnarok-ish!). We can
all bring our minis, and know we aren't treading on anyone.... <grin>

Thomas Barclay
Software UberMensch
xwave solutions
(613) 831-2018 x 3008

Prev: Transports Next: Re: [ft] fleet roster sizes