Prev: Re: UNSC SDN-X Names Next: Nov 11 site

Re: tugs and firing arcs

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 18:20:59 +0100
Subject: Re: tugs and firing arcs

Glen wrote:

> A ship is towing a pod into battle (i.e., a "battle tug").  Are both
> the ship and pod portrayed as one unit or as two separate units?

Anything towed by a tug counts as a separate unit. True modular units
(where the modules are bolted semi-permanently to the hull) count as
single units, but it would be easier to refit than normal ships in a
campaign game.

> This affects targeting, firing sequence, plotting (although I think
> that one plot affects both), critical systems, threshold checks,
> hull layout.	The modular Sparrowhawk design from SFB gave me
> some ideas for ship designs but I'm not sure how it should be
> implemented in the game.  Using the towing rules I can gain 10% space
> for items.

Which towing rules? The "tug and tender" sections in FT2 and FB only
cover FTL tugs and not sub-light ones while the special rules in the
scenario "You call, we haul" in MT restricts the sublight tug/towee
pair to a velocity of 4mu/turn in a straight line; neither seems
entirely appropriate for what you describe.

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: UNSC SDN-X Names Next: Nov 11 site