Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] QUESTIONNAIRE.... Next: Re: [FT] emines/heavy beams (was SMR's / Wave guns...)

RE: SGII tactics?

From: "Glover, Owen" <oglover@m...>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 13:31:40 +1000
Subject: RE: SGII tactics?

Hi Steven,

Well, Urban Terrorist-101 eh?

Small Unit tactics is such a HUGE field to cover really.

Start playing your games with limited artillery and vehicles perhaps
only on
one side. Add the arty and other special rules slowly; like EW and
Buildings.

Some simple advice in gaming Stargrunt:

Yes, definitely have your squads supporting each other; ie have them in
positions to provide mutual fire support. They don't have to be
physically
close to each other but have them in positions to put fire into likely
enemy
positions.

Don't try to 'play the rules' to get kills from long distance squad by
squad. Use multiple squads to supppress a target whilst working another
squad into a close assault position. I will always recommend using two
squads to close assault with. Use detachnents to distract other enemy
squads
whilst concentrating on covering your assault squads.

Use smoke to cover open ground.

Always move from cover to cover; even if it takes you a little longer.

Keep your platoon HQ well forward to see what is going on but don't
commit
him to fighting the firefight. Let the squad leaders do their job but
the HQ
should be in a position to act as a reserve if things get really dodgy.
ALWAYS have a reserve!! This way too you can have your PL HQ close
enough to
communicate without worrying about EW or Comms rolls failing!

It always pays to put your Fire Support/Overwatch whatever you want to
call
them, In Position.

That's enough to start with.

I can't think of any on-line resources right now other than the US FM
Pams
that can be found through
http://www.specialoperations.com/literature/manuals.html

Cheers,