Prev: RE: Pics from Salute '99? Next: Re: My ship designs

Re: [FT] my take on the UNSC SDN-X

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 21:14:33 +0100
Subject: Re: [FT] my take on the UNSC SDN-X

Roger Books wrote:

A few comments:

> Second, it is obviously a dispersed structure.  Those big wings
> are vulnerable points.

Screen-2 on an armoured Weak hulls is the best you can get for a
Thrust-4, FTL capable ship... provided the enemy uses a reasonable
amount of beams, of course <g>

> The other thing I didn't like is I couldn't fit fighter groups on
> without pushing it over the edge.  Anyway, here it is:
>
> UNSC SDN-X
>
>  Hull Displacement	    290
>  Point Cost		    1057
>  Hull Strength	    Weak (14/14/13/13)

Should be Weak (15/15/14/14)

>  Hull Armor		    10
>  Streamlinin		    None
>  Thrust		    4
>  FTL Capable
>  Passive Sensors
>  Active Sensors	    Superior
>  ECM			    Area-Effect
>
>  Screen		    Level 2
>  Fire Control System	    (5)
>  ADFC 		    (1)
>  PDS			   (12)

With that many PDS, you could use more than one ADFC... particularly if
the enemy is uncouth enough to attack the smaller ships :-/

>  MT Missiles		    (3) EMP
>  MT Missiles		    (3) Needle

I'd rather just say "MT missiles (6)"; missile racks tend to be able to
carry more than one type each.

>  Pulse Torpedo Launcher   FP F
>  Pulse Torpedo Launcher   FP F
>  Pulse Torpedo Launcher   FP F
>  Pulse Torpedo Launcher   F FS
>  Pulse Torpedo Launcher   F FS
>  Pulse Torpedo Launche    F FS
>  SML			    (2)

Arcs?

>  SM Magazine		    Cap: 12  (6 / 4 ER salvos)
>  Beam / 3		    FP F FS
>  Beam / 3		    F FS
>  Beam / 3		    FP F
>  Beam / 2		    FP F FS
>  Beam / 2		    FP F AP
>  Beam / 2		    F FS AS

Looks OK. If you're worried about the mass - the FSE SDN is only 250
Mass, and you say the UNSC one feels lighter - I guess some of the PDS
and/or part of the SM battery could go. Which weapons do you equate
with the twin SMLs, BTW?

Later,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: RE: Pics from Salute '99? Next: Re: My ship designs