Prev: Re: [FT] my take on the UNSC SDN-X Next: [FT] my take on the UNSC SDN

Re: OT: Heavy Gear TV series.

From: "Mark A. Siefert: LORD OF ALL EVIL!" <cthulhu@c...>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 11:19:09 -0600 (CST)
Subject: Re: OT: Heavy Gear TV series.

On Thu, 4 Nov 1999, Los wrote:

> Will this be CGI ala SST?

	Not that I have anything against CGI, but I think that an HG
series would be FAR better if the animators attampted to duplicate the
anime style of illustration found in the various printed HG products. A
combination of traditional and CGI would be spectacular if done
correctly.

	My primary concern though is that HG isn't really considered
"family fair" and Sony may try to water-down the dark and gritty HG
universe (violence, sex, politics, religion, and other things our
nation's
bluenoses think that people should be insulated from) in order to make
it
palatible for children and their nosey parents.

	America for the most part isn't ready for a dramatic animated
series with adult themes.  As we all know, most animation is used for
children's programing, while any "mature" animated series are comedies
(e.g. The Simpsons, King of the Hill, Futurama).  I don't think that
viewers will take a HG series very seriously.  Besides, as well have
seen,
people consider the science fiction genre to be for children and adult
"geeks."

	If the show is just a "WOW cool giant robots" series with no
serious plot, then it's going to be tripe.  If they focus on the story
and
the charecters and keep the technology where it belongs (as "props")
then
it will be something worth watching.  However, given America's prejudice
toward sci-fi, I don't think that it will go very far.

Later,
Mark A. Siefert

"[Like] fire and fusion, government is a dangerous servant and a
terrible
master."

					--Professor Bernardo de la Paz
					"The Moon is a Harsh Mistress"
					by Robert A. Heinlein

E-MAIL: cthulhu@csd.uwm.edu	WWW: http://www.uwm.edu/~cthulhu
=

Prev: Re: [FT] my take on the UNSC SDN-X Next: [FT] my take on the UNSC SDN