Prev: Re: Comments on Independent Antarctics Next: Re: [FT] Who said Nova cannon's were unbalanced?

Re: [FT] Who said Nova cannon's were unbalanced? bloody fighters

From: "Nathan rolfe" <ace_hole@h...>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 1999 16:02:06 PST
Subject: Re: [FT] Who said Nova cannon's were unbalanced? bloody fighters

>From: Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@marine.csiro.au>
>To: gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU
>Subject: [FT] Who said Nova cannon's were unbalanced?
>Date: Thu, 04 Nov 1999 09:15:48 +1000
>
>G'day guys,
>
>I'm in the mood for a good argu... err discussion <g> and so I've
decided
>to ask a question that's been bugging me for ages. Why do you guys
think
>the wave gun and nova cannon are unbalanced (as evidenced by the
reactions
>to the initial UNSC SDN design)? Under the FB designs they're no super
>weapon, they're regularly used down here and I've only seen them do
>devastating damage once and that was because the target got cocky (my
son
>had the wave gun ship fully charged, but his opponent was so sure he'd
take
>it out through damage causing threshold checks he ended his fleet 2 "
away
>straight in front in a nice big line and then rolled a lot of 1s and 2s
>much to his horror). Given the fact you can't fire any other weapon
system
>that turn either then you may as well use large beams/p-torps (or if
using
>EFSB stuff as well, heavy beams) as you'll more often than not do more
>damage that way. The rules for theses two "big" guns were written
pre-FB
>when ships were a lot smaller, now we regularly see ships hit the board
>with masses >100. I'd even go so far to suggest that to make them
useful
>(and to give them back some of their reputation) under FB I'd double
their
>radii of effect or give them twice the dice, I'd also drop the
requirement
>that says Nova Cannons can only be carried by capitals (though that's
less
>to do with balance and more to do with the fact I don't see it as an
>important distinction anymore).
>
>Any way there's a few cents worth to rattle a few cages... been
decidely
>too quiet around here for my liking anyway ;)
>
>Have fun
>
>Beth

I would have to agree from my experience the nova and wave cannons have
proven to be a very unreliable weapon. At the moment the current "super
weapons" are missiles and fighters which at the moment are being taken
the extreme in our current gamming group, For example some people are
turning up with corvettes with fragile hulls no weapons PDS and mounting
single missile rack, and another good one is a mass 50 odd ship with
fragile
hull and thrust two with 4 fighter bays. I will admit that fighters are
part of the game and add to it but when you play a 4000 point game and
26
attack fighters come at you and destroy 3 battle ships in a turn and the

game is over before any ship to ship combat takes place. I think the
hole
idea of full  thrust is ship to ship and trying to out manoeuvre your
opponent. But when your opponent says this counter shows where all 26
fighter groups are i get a little annoyed. That's all i will say for
now.

Nathan

Prev: Re: Comments on Independent Antarctics Next: Re: [FT] Who said Nova cannon's were unbalanced?