Prev: Re: Comments on various designs... Next: Re: Underwater questions [ot]

Comments on Independent Antarctics

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 19:21:29 +0100
Subject: Comments on Independent Antarctics

I managed to delete Beth's reply before I could answer it, but I think
I remember most of what you said:

Re - bad spelling: Don't worry; my spelling is lousy as well.
Throughout the entire post I spelled "individual" as "superior" <g>

Re - ECM: I'm afraid you didn't quote straight out of MT. There are two
types of ECM, but they're called Individual and Area; it still isn't
entirely obvious from the designs which one you mean unless you start
checking how big the designs are.

What I called "Superior ECM" was indeed the Individual one, so all the
ECM comments are still valid if you replace "Superior" with
"Individual" :-/ As, for example, in the line below:

> Erebus Arsenalship: Ha... hm. Design is legal (assuming Superior
> ECM), but 2 P-torps *and* beams, and only one single FC?

...to which you said "It works". Well, yes, but it can't fire all its
weapons in a single turn under the published rules :-/

> Wilkes CE: ECM not specified, but the NPV and TMF strongly suggest
> that the ship has Superior ECM but only Enhanced Sensors (not
> Superior Sensors as specified).

With Superior sensors and *Individual* ECM <g>, this one is TMF 71, NPV
290. With Enhanced sensors, it has the specified TMF 70, NPV 274.

> Zotikov Patrol Cruiser: Assuming Superior ECM, the cost incl. std
> fighters is 297.

IIRC this was the one you asked me to step through, so here goes:

Item		Mass		Cost
Size 70   n/a		  70
Average hull	  21		  42
Thrust 4	  14		  28
FTL		    7		  14
Screen-1	    4		  12
2x C1-6     2		    6
2x C2-3     4		  12
2x PDS	    2		    6
ADFC		    2		    8
1 FC		    1		    4
Sup. Sensors	    2		  30
Individual ECM	    2		  20
Fighter bay	    9		  27
Cost of ship:	  70		279
Std fighter sqdn		  18
Total cost			297

> Modules:
> How is the module NPV calculated? Most of them seem to be (21 (for
> basic structure) + cost of systems), but not all:
>
> Warfighting -  NPV 101 (rather than 97) assuming Superior ECM
> (otherwise there's 1 Mass unused)

Still wondering about this one, though I'll now assume Individual ECM
instead (and no, Area ECM won't leave 1 Mass unused <g>).

What did I forget?

Best wishes,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
 -Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Comments on various designs... Next: Re: Underwater questions [ot]