Prev: RE: Comments on various designs - New Bavarians, Dean's reinforcements, Independ Next: Re: Underwater questions [ot]

Re: Underwater questions [ot]

From: Beth Fulton <beth.fulton@m...>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 1999 08:42:17 +1000
Subject: Re: Underwater questions [ot]

G'day Steven,

>Thus airplanes and submersibles are fundamentally different, and I
doubt
>you could make a very effective vehicle that operated both in the air
>and the water unless you've got exotic technology (like anti-grav).

Actually I was thinking the shapes of animals that work well in both -
I'm
definitely not an engineer and thus must rely on what's closer to home,
thus I was very impressed to see that the Japanese engineers have
finally
decided to trial subs that act (move) like fish ;)

>Yes, I'm a mechanical engineering student; no, I don't like fluid
>mechanics at all. :)

It has its moments ;)

Cheers

Beth

----
----
Elizabeth Fulton
c/o CSIRO Division of Marine Research
GPO Box 1538
HOBART
TASMANIA 7001
AUSTRALIA
Phone (03) 6232 5018 International +61 3 6232 5018
Fax (03) 6232 5199 International +61 3 6232 5199

email: beth.fulton@marine.csiro.au