Prev: Re: Scale of Stargrunt Next: RE: New Figure Company? [CLEAN STAMP]

star databases (was: RE: OT Query: Starship Troopers- MIA???)

From: Do not pass when solid yellow line is on your side of the road <KOCHTE@s...>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 1999 13:14:46 -0500 (EST)
Subject: star databases (was: RE: OT Query: Starship Troopers- MIA???)

[...]
>>>That's either on the bright star or binary lists, I'm guessing it's
>>>Polaris. A web search failed me :-(
>>
>>Actually it's on neither list (ummmm...okay, might be on the binary
list,
>>as it is a companion to a multi-star system). And being 11th mag, a
little
>>too faint to be seen naked eye (Polaris is mag ~1.9).
>>
>>(hint: try looking it up on SIMBAD)
>>
>>Mk
>
>At this point I'll declare defeat and stick with my nice, provincial
>near star list and whatever a quick websearch comes up with.

SIMBAD's a nice, handy database on stars with which you can dig up
all kinds of info with. Another resource for those of you who want
to find out various tidbit information on a given star for your fave
empire/stellar government. :)  It's not the end-all be-all of databases
for stars, but it is fairly comprehensive:

   http://simbad.u-strasbg.fr/Simbad

But as it is geared for the more professional astronomer some info in
it may seem a bit esoteric.  ;-)

(ps: earlier-mentioned star is Proxima Centauri)

Mk
...__
McCoy: "Angry, Mr Spock? Or frustrated, perhaps?"

Spock: "Such emotions are foreign to me. I am merely testing the
strength
  of the door."

McCoy: "For the 15th time?"
				 - ST:TOS, 'Bread & Circuses'

Prev: Re: Scale of Stargrunt Next: RE: New Figure Company? [CLEAN STAMP]