Prev: Re: OT Query: Starship Troopers- MIA??? Next: Re: Terrian Programs Etc

Re: Underwater questions [ot]

From: DracSpy@a...
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 11:19:19 EST
Subject: Re: Underwater questions [ot]

In a message dated 11/2/99 12:00:34 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Tim.Jones@Smallworld.co.uk writes:

> >1)  What is the maxium practical speed for under water transporation?
>
>  about 30 knots, this is what the fastest russian attack subs could
get
>  up to with high yeild reactors

Okay, so the comunities would be close together.

>  >2)	What does a person need to live and what should be in the
>  >under sea
>  >comunites?
>
>  air, water, food, a place to reproduce. Basically if you have energy
such
>  as fusion plnats you could manufacture or grow all you require, like
the
>  biosphere projects that are running now.

Okay.

>  >3)	Is there a detailed design system for Submarine design?
>
>  Basically the albacore project found that the best shape is a fat
cylinder.
>  If you mean xisting game system, I don't know of one.

Okay, altho a little boring.

>  >4)	Would a submarine fighter (like from Sea Quest or
>  >Archemdian Dynasty) be practical?
>
>  If you had small enough power plants, yes but likely to be more
>  dolphin shaped than aeroplane shaped.

Okay, would high enfinshancy (sp?) fuel cells work?

>  >5)	What is the best shape for a lander desgined to move
>  >though the air and
>  >go into the water?
>
>  In air how is it propelled? If it has anti grav then a fat cylinder
>  it it has to fly then something like voyage to the bottom of the
>  seas flying sub which is based on a manta ray.

I was thinking of an Aerobraking based insertion, would it work to have
lateral movement when it hit the water?

>  >6)	What would be the best simulater for underwater combat be?
>
>  Do you mean game system,  full thrust depth factor/aquazone variants
>  would be pretty good for underwater dog-fights.

I think that's going to be the best way to go.

>  >7)	Would "cralwers" be usable?
>
>  depends on depth and sea bed composition, but yes on the continental
shelf
>  where the sediment wasn't too deep.

Okay, as the planet would be young I think that it would be hard enough
work.

>  >8)	What does it take to do under water mining?
>
>  Depends if you are extracting nodules or sinking shafts. Nodule
miners
would
> be
>  large sleds or air lifts. Shafts would have to have cassions sunk
over the
> sea
>  bed and facilities for waste extraction.

Okay.

>  >9)	What would be the normal shapes that buildings be based on?
>
>  Domes or spheres as they resist pressure the best

Okay.

>  >10) What type of weapons would work (lasers are out, but what
>  >about Sonic
>  >weapons)?
>
>  I would think mostly guided weapons such as torpedoes are going to be
>  the most effective, these would be smaller and faster and have
various
>  guidance systems. Projectile weapons would have hopeless ranges
compared to
>  guided weapons but could be used for close in fighting as well as
mechanical
>  arms or boring weapons.

Would a KEP type weapon be practical?

>  depth charges, mines and hedgehogs as well.

Hedgehog?

>  Sound would be difficult to focus and enegry weapons would be
dissipated
>  too easily.

Okay, thanks.
-Stephen

Prev: Re: OT Query: Starship Troopers- MIA??? Next: Re: Terrian Programs Etc