Prev: Re FOR ships Next: Re: Deckplan page

Re: Deckplan page

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 00:01:03 +0100
Subject: Re: Deckplan page

>>That brings up an interesting question.  In some SF, the
>ships are depressurized
>>during combat to reduce the effects of a hit (no explosive
>decompression), in
>>some you wear vacc suits with the helmets off (but nearby)
>and hope for the
>>best.  In some you don't bother with the whole vacc suit
>thing at all and pray
>>you never get a hole in the room you are in.
>>
>>So...  What happens in the FT universe?
>

>IF ships fight pressurized with suits on, helmet and gloves
>off attached to the suit but not in place.

There's a rundown of typical Alert States on P.44 of the FB1. Red
(Battle
Alert) status has all primary combat crew (Bridge, TacOps, Engineering,
Gunnery) in sealed suits, as are all DC crews; in most navies other
non-combat-essential personnel will probably be suited as well if
they've
got any sense, or sealed into individual pressure-tight staterooms.
I would think that bridge crew suits would be of the lightweight
"skinsuit"
variety with bubble helmets to allow maximum vision and freedom of
movement. Engineering and DC crews would wear heavier worksuits or even
PA.
Status Yellow Two (General Quarters) has all essential crew to stations
in
open suits (unsealed, helmets racked within reach).

Jon (GZG)

Prev: Re FOR ships Next: Re: Deckplan page