Prev: Re: [OT] Alternity & Starting from the ground up... Next: Re: IF Fleet

Re: Free Orange Republic ships

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 21:40:53 +0100
Subject: Re: Free Orange Republic ships

Nik wrote:

> I do have a few comments in return.
>  Thanks for pointing out the mass probs they've been fixed.  As for
the
> other comments.  You expressed distaste towards some of the designs,
> mainly the carriers (http://www.geocities.com/niklinnell) The way I
see it > carriers don't go into battle fullstop and secondly they have
escorts plus > fighters for protection if they do get sprung.

That's *exactly* what my main complaint aimed at. If they're not
supposed to go into battle, they shouldn't waste Mass on F-arc only
weapons - even with the defences the heavier carriers mount, they need
to run *away* from the enemy at their best speed to give their escorts
enought time to deal with the threat. At a thrust rating of 2 (except
for the Hertzog) their best speed isn't very good anyway, and they
don't have the agility to turn around, use their main engines and turn
back to fire in a single turn. SA or PA arcs would make sense; F arcs
don't.

> As for the Auxiliary Carrier it is just that Auxiliary.  Used for
escorting
> merchants and providing fighter groups for Destroyer squadrons etc.

Escorting merchants, yes... maybe. Providing fighter groups for
destroyer squadrons with this ship effectively cuts the strategic speed
of the entire squadron in half, making them effectively useless for
intercepting enemy raiders or probing forces as well as for
probes/raids of your own (which is what independent light forces tend
to be used for).

>  Finally the Escort Cruiser variant C
> that has only one ADFC and ten PDS (can only protect one ship) point
> taken but for some reason all the missiles in the area seem to always
hit > the same ship, spooky huh?

<G> My opponents rapidly learned to spread their salvoes even against
Beijing/BEs <g>

> P.S. nice assumption that Beth should just happen to know me because
> we live in the same state.

Assumption? She told me she'd forward my original comments to you, so I
didn't need to assume anything <g>

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [OT] Alternity & Starting from the ground up... Next: Re: IF Fleet