Prev: Re: Starting from the ground up... Next: RE: [FT][DS][URL]Site update

RE: Metal stuff - Soldering

From: "Tim Jones" <Tim.Jones@S...>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 10:19:25 +0100
Subject: RE: Metal stuff - Soldering

>>Has anyone tried soldering together minis like Jon makes? What were
>>the results?

As I posted yesterday I use low melt (for metal railway kits) solder
for the fiddly bits, but its hard to get it to work for large
pieces and then you usually don't have too as there is enough of
a pin/hole in the casting to allow epoxy gluing easily.

The problem with solder is that to do a large area you have to
heat up a large area and this is tricky, I have an iron with a
rheostat that stops it heating above the melting point of
white metal but even then its not worth the effort. You can
buy expensive resistance soldering equipment but its not
worth it.

On the GZG models I soldered the wings on the NSL ships
(I have some earlier versions that had these), also the small NAC
command booms/bridge pieces and the hull of the KV superdreadnought.
Results were all excellent, durable joints.

The mimis where solder is a complete boon is the FASA trek models
getting the engines and other intricacies to stay, I found it the
only durable solution.

-= tim jones =-

Prev: Re: Starting from the ground up... Next: RE: [FT][DS][URL]Site update