Prev: re Fighter group sizes Next: Who was Collins?

Re: Out-of-date designs

From: Alan E and Carmel J Brain <aebrain@d...>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 17:06:00 +1000
Subject: Re: Out-of-date designs

Oerjan Ohlson wrote:

> One thing I didn't have time to write (didn't have time to remember to
> write, that is :-/ ) before I went to England was that the simplest
way
> of simulating obsolete ships is to not use all of the available weapon
> Mass.

Actually, the easiest method is to just an obsolete ship of size 100
(say) has the same capabilities _and cost_ as a modern ship of size 80
(say). Or even 50 if it's not just obsolescent but obsolete.

"The Mk XVIIa Mod 7 Heterodyned Phased-Array Lasers on the "Venerable"
class cruisers easily out-shot their opponents of the day, and weighed
in at a massive 300 tonnes each, much of which was for their all-round
firing capability. In terms of Gigawattage, they're about the equivalent
of the Type 1 Unsupercharged Compact rotating-mirror mount, which weighs
less than 200. Similarly, the Dynamix FTL drive massed over 600 tonnes,
but used less Unobtainium than modern drives, so cost was about the same
as a modern drive of equal ability (eg the 300-tonne JumpMaster 2-300)"
--
	      http://www2.dynamite.com.au/aebrain
 abrain@cs.adfa.edu.au o O*OO^^^^OO*O o oo     oo oo	 oo

Prev: re Fighter group sizes Next: Who was Collins?