Prev: Re: Fighters - Multi Role, Recce, SWAC, ECM/EW [FT] [FB] Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] New Stuff from GZG!

Re: Fighters - Multi Role, Recc, etc. and Sensor Rules

From: Michael T Miserendino <MTMiserendino@l...>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 15:31:00 -0500
Subject: Re: Fighters - Multi Role, Recc, etc. and Sensor Rules

We had a discussion about fighter mods with EW capability quite a while
back.
  It might be in the archives.

Recently I started using the FT and MT sensor rules.  Fighters were not
included in the sensor rules.  I am using sensor rules in my Battlestar
Galactica scenarios and have resolved fighters by allowing them to use
basic
active sensors as well as passive sensors with the exception that they
only
have a 6" radius of operation.

When operating sensors the fighter cannot make any attacks as this
counts as
their action.  If the fighter group uses active sensors the fighter
group
bogey marker is replaced with the actual fighter group mini.  If it is
passive, the bogey marker is left in place.  The information retrieved
is
the same as per the passive and basic active sensors in the rules.

The fighter group making the sensor sweep can be attacked by the target
ship
if the fighter group is no longer a bogey itself.  If a ship fires on a
fighter group using an APDS, the ship's bogey marker is replaced with
the
actual ship mini.

This seems to work very well with my scenario as I wanted to recreate
the
atmosphere of carrier battles in space.  The play tests seemed to mimic
the
Battle of Midway.  This was the first time my playtesters used sensor
rules
and they really like it a lot.	Most games in the past start out with
players positioning their ships based on how the other player positioned

their ships.  Using sensors rules (or random jump-in points) seemed to
add
some variety to the game.  I highly recommend giving it a try.

Mike

Michael Miserendino
Senior Software Engineer
Lincoln Re
mtmiserendino@lnc.com

>>> owner-gzg-l@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU at internet 10/26 1:24 PM >>>
We have standard fighters. Then torpedo, long-range, fast, heavy,
attack, and I'm sure there might be another type. And we haven't even
touched on weasels for fighter groups (ECM/EW fighters) or
SWAC-fighters (though Brigade makes a SWAC strikeboat).

My questions:
1. Has anyone thought of ECM/EW fighters and how to implement them?
2. SWACS? Same question?
3. Recce fighters?
4. Multi-role fighters - I haven't seen one yet. ie a fighter that
could, with the correct addition or subtraction of kit be 1) a fast
fighter (booster packs), 2) a long range fighter (drop tanks), 3) an
ECM/EW fighter (ECM pods), 4) Recce fighter (sensor nodes), 5)
interceptors (different weapons loadout), 6) attack fighters
(different loadout).
I'm assuming heavy fighters are more robustly constructed frame wise
and that torpedo fighters are just a different beast (for some
apocryphal reason known as "Stringbags").

It seems to me that many of today's fighter jets are multi-role
capable. How do we create such a beast in FT, cost it, and store its
auxilliary components aboard the carrier?

I'm sure some of you FT Top-Gun-Fighter-Squadron-Jockeys must have
some thoughts.

Thomas Barclay
Software UberMensch
xwave solutions
(613) 831-2018 x 3008

Prev: Re: Fighters - Multi Role, Recce, SWAC, ECM/EW [FT] [FB] Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] New Stuff from GZG!