Prev: RE: [DS] alien figures in 6mm Next: Re: [FT] Sol SDN-X (2nd proposal)

Re: [FT] Sol SDN-X (2nd proposal)

From: Tony Francis <tony@g...>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 16:10:13 +0100
Subject: Re: [FT] Sol SDN-X (2nd proposal)

Sean Bayan Schoonmaker wrote:

> >Since the whole reason for the -X is extended range, why not give
them
> >the same weapons loadout but give the SDN-X cargo space and more
hull?

> I'd say, on the extended range topic, that the SMLs need to go, and
perhaps
> add in a fighter squadron or two for stand-off ops.

I'd agree with this one. The SDN and especially the SDN-X would be UNSC
fleet
flagships and are likely to have a full complement of fighters,
diplomatic
shuttles and marines, even if this is at the expense of weapons. Their
role
would be different from that of any other nation's SDNs, they're far
more
likely to be required to undertake new missions at the drop of a hat and
would
need to be multi-purpose. I would guess that they're also likely to be
required
to act as the core of a task force with little or no support.

In fact, here's an idea :

UNSC taskforces will generally consist of one very large ship (BDN, SDN,
SDN-X)
with a small number of escort sized vessels. The reason ? The
psychological
effect of one extremely powerful vessel turning up at a trouble spot is
far
more than that of several medium sized vessels (eg cruisers), even if
the net
firepower is the same. By frightening the locals with the large ship,
the UNSC
hopes to avoid conflict altogether.

This of course doesn't preclude the UNSC from requiring plenty of
cruisers -
these are still ideal for patrolling, convoy escorts etc.

Please discuss, agree, disagree etc

Tony

Prev: RE: [DS] alien figures in 6mm Next: Re: [FT] Sol SDN-X (2nd proposal)