Prev: RE: Sa'Vasku for the Fleet Book Next: UNSC SDN-X

Star Maps

From: "The ledge is a favorite hangout for pigeons. The white stuff is not chalk." <KOCHTE@s...>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 08:50:47 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Star Maps

With the recent(-ish) discussion on star mapping that had been
going on here (and subsequently moved over to the gzg computer
core list) I thought some of you might be interested in knowing
that National Geographic put out a *very* nice Milky Way star
map recently (I think last month's issue; I just found it this
past weekend - that's how busy I've been, I'm months behind in
my magazine reading :-/ ). Within this double-sided poster are
relative positional maps of the stars within 20 ly of our sun
(I haven't cross-checked this to verify it is showing each and
EVERY star w/in 20 ly, but there's pleny shown so prolly close
enough). then our position within the Milky Way, then the pos-
ition of the Milky Way within the Local Group, and the Local
Group's position within the Supercluster [of galaxies], etc.

As I said, very nicely done map. I believe you can order these
maps directly from National Geographic (at www.nationalgeographic.com)

Anyway, just fyi, for those mapmakers and interested parties in seeing
this sort of stuff.

Mk
-
I'm not giving in to security under pressure,
I'm not missing out on the promise of adventure,
I'm not giving up on implausible dreams -
Experience to extremes...experience to extremes....
					   Rush - "The Enemy Within"

Prev: RE: Sa'Vasku for the Fleet Book Next: UNSC SDN-X