Prev: Casting your own... Next: Re: Casting your own...

Re: Casting your own...

From: -MWS- <mshurtleff1@u...>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 15:23:11 -0700
Subject: Re: Casting your own...

At 05:10 PM 10/22/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>	Howdy, all!
>	Got a query for the list. We are rather poor, so I can't afford
fleets of
>cool minis (sorry, jon@gzg :-(   However, I came up with a great
>alternative, since I don't want to push cardboard counters around for
the
>rest of my life (reminds me WAY to much of SFB ;-). I bought a variety
of
>balsa wood sheets and some pine dowels and I'm gonna build MY OWN
minis.
>HELP, I think I've lost my mind! :-)  Anyway, I've built a propotype DD
and
>it looks decent. Not up to GZG standards, but with some more detail
work
>and lots of practice I think I'll do ok.
>	Which brings me to my question. I realized it's going to take
SOME time to
>scratch build a fleet of minis from wood. Then, my brain rolled over
and
>thought what if I just make ONE prototype from wood. Make a mold and
cast
>it in lead. My dad and I are already handloaders (translated: "firearms
>nuts") so I have some experience with molten lead.
>	How do I make my own molds???
>
>May Reason and Logic be with you, always...	Mike Petska
>						       petska@gpcom.net

Well, you need a vulcanized rubber mold for each model, a suitable hot
pot,
ladel, SAFETY EQUIPMENT!!!!!!, and some casting material.  There's a
[casting] mailing list on http://www.onelist.com that can give you some
extra pointers.

>From personal experience, just the initial casting hardware setup will
cost
you in the neighborhood of $120 US or more.  Unless you are planning on
making a very large batch, you can buy a whole bunch of GZG ships for
that
price - especially if you mail order at a 30% discount from reputable
vendors such as the Travelling Mage (http://www.crazymage.com).

Mark "Hauptmann" Shurtleff
 email: hauptman@sfcmd.com
 StarFighter Command Homepage: http://www.sfcmd.com/

Prev: Casting your own... Next: Re: Casting your own...