Prev: Re: Petition to St. Jon of Needham - feel free to "me too" this one Next: New Israel Gallery Update

Re: [SGII] Furry troopers

From: "Geoffery R" <geofferyr@h...>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 08:22:13 PDT
Subject: Re: [SGII] Furry troopers

I had recently reread the book "To the Bitter End" by Lex McAulay and
one of
the passages stuck in my mind that seems to sum up a certain mindset
well.
This was an instruction issued by Colonel Yokoyama to Lieutenant Bunji
Shigemori at the Sanananda field hostpital involved in forming fighting
units from the patients.

     "Every unit will hold its position to the very end. In attack on
tanks
you will voluntarily jump on the tank and throw a handgrenade inside or
stab
the the occupant with your bayonet. Every NCO and man will co-operate by

sacrificing his life for the Imperial Army.

     We must consider Buna as fallen. It is are duty to hold Sanananda
against the Australian and American armies. We must display the bravery
of
the Japanese Army.

     Even though your are a patient, you should not hesitate to advance.

There are cases where patients exerted their utmost energy at the time
of
withdrawal, so it is not impossible to exert your energy at the time of
advance.

     Educate everyone so that they would rather die in glory on the
battle
field rather than withdraw."

The Japanese evacuated the position before the patients where called
upon to
fight. But when another field hostpital in an earlier battle had been
overrun, the Australians had been force to kill patients who fought from

their stretchers and refused to surrender.

Buck.

>>-Proud warriors (Kzinti, Klingons, etc.).  They fight individually for
>>honor.  In a hopeless situation, they'll fight to the last man.  They
>>refuse to retreat, which gives them staying power but reduced tactical
>>flexibility.

Watch out on thsi one, a race/species with this kind of attitude ain't
going to last long in an evolutionary sense. The odd individual 'yes',
but
as a general race characteristic I'd steer well clear.

Prev: Re: Petition to St. Jon of Needham - feel free to "me too" this one Next: New Israel Gallery Update