Prev: Re: DSII: counter battery radar figs Next: Treaties.

RE: OT - Military question

From: "Glover, Owen" <oglover@m...>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 08:29:06 +1000
Subject: RE: OT - Military question

I guess the question was really in relation to modern/sci-fi.

In a lot of places the "Light" and "Heavy" blur.

Really the terms in modern warfare refer to Light Scales and Heavy
Scales
and really refer to the TO&E capabilities. Light Infantry units will
generally have less organic heavy weapons support and are unlikely to
have
organic transport larger than Landrover/HummVee. They are more suited to
Airmodbile Operations, with a Role of Point of Entry Seizure as an
example.
A Mechanised Infantry Battalion is an example of a Heavy Infantry unit
with
Rangers being Light Infantry.

In modern terms both have the same basic weapons and skill sets.

Don't even think that Light Infantry means that the individual soldier
carries less if he is 'Light'. Often it is the reverse as the Light
Infantry
unit needs to carry more of it's own kit as it doesn't have teh same
logistic tail to rely on!

Cheers,

Owen G