Prev: Re: Backpacks, Water Bottles, and Doctrine Next: Jesus!

Re: Backpacks, Water Bottles, and Doctrine

From: Michael Llaneza <maserati@f...>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 20:47:56 -0700
Subject: Re: Backpacks, Water Bottles, and Doctrine

At 1:32 PM +1000 10/15/99, Alan E and Carmel J Brain wrote:

>If ever there was a misnomer, it's the phrase "Light Infantry". You can
>always tell them, they're the huge 120+ kg guys loaded with 60+ kg of
>pack, navigation aids, satellite comms, night-vision gear, plus
weaponry
>on top of that.

More like what the Romans would have called "Heavy Infantry". Marius'
Mules carried 60-70kg if memory serves. The only light part of a
Light Division is in the noncombatant arms and in air transport
requirements. The guys at the sharp end have just as much stuff as
everybody else in a professional army.

Michael Carter Llaneza
Devolution is very real to me.
http://www.flash.net/~maserati/

Prev: Re: Backpacks, Water Bottles, and Doctrine Next: Jesus!