Prev: Kit loadouts. Next: Re: IF ship names

Re: Kit loadouts.

From: Los <los@c...>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 15:31:53 -0400
Subject: Re: Kit loadouts.

Thomas Barclay wrote:

> Hi Owen, Buck, etc.
>
> Thanks for the info.
>
> I knew you guys wore webgear like us. I find it interesting how much
> water you carry. We never (okay, I've never been to the hot parts of
> the world) carried more than 2 canteens. Even those were a pain in the
> ass - sloshing around. And most of the time, it was one. Our packs
> sometimes wayed upwards towards 80 pounds but rarely. Of course, being
> Canadians, and on excercises, being issued grenades was unlikely and
> being issued an oversupply (re:adequate amount) of ammo was also
> unlikely. And whats a mine? <grin>

Being one who's spent a lot of time in Africa, Middle East, and Central
America, we take as much water as we can physically carry. Even a
temperate zone like the North East if we are doing any rucking we hump
lots of water. A Typical guy has at least 2x 1 qt canteens and 1x 2 qt
canteen. That's issue. Usually he adds more to that. In our unit we
carry
2 1qts, 2 2qts, and a camelback. Plus on any type of desert op we carry
even more we have 1 gallon plastic blivets that go into the ruck. the
most
I've carried is about 4 gallons. (that would be in desert)

If we have vehicles there's at least a	case of poland spring plus 2x 5
gal cans of water.

Note that in arid climates units should have an enforced water plan. The
Israelis came up with this (though I don't don't it was invented
earlier)
where they sit there and watch you drink a canteen of water down whole
every hour. The alternate to this is heat casualties, which are as
serious
as bullet casualties.

Los

Prev: Kit loadouts. Next: Re: IF ship names