Prev: Re: IF Fleet Next: Kit loadouts.

Re: IF Fleet

From: Thomas Pope <tpope@c...>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 15:12:51 -0400
Subject: Re: IF Fleet

Chip Dunning wrote:

> I would base them off an attrition model for fighters. Every one of
their
> ships carry at least one group of fighters. They have no true carriers
-
> instead every ship is expected to fight in the line and carry some
fighters
> as well. Think Hydran from SFB in that they are all partial carriers -
> full fleet would have less direct firepower than most fleets, but able
> fields a good deal of fighters. Plus the loss of any one unit means
that
> enough other units can spread the surviving fighters so that none are
lost
> for want of space.

I like this idea quite a bit!  It woudl make for a very unique fleet,
and some interesting designs.  Though at some point you'll have to draw
the line,  since fighters are heavy suckers.  (Don't they take up 9 mass
for a group of six?)

One posible solution would be to give the smaller ships only one or two
fighters each.	It's a bit of a departure from the standard rules, but I
can't think of any reason you wouldn't be able to do this.  Perhaps some
basic rules for combining fighters would be in order though.

For ships that carry less than 6 fighters, just assign them to groups so
that each group carries a full flight of fighters.  If the ships are
together and launch at the same time, place one full strength fighter
counter in the middle of them.	If they're apart or one is destroyed,
then you launch as many smaller groups as you have to.

It would certainly make for some interesting tactics...

Tom

--
Thomas Pope
Human Computer Interaction Institute