Prev: Re: IF ship names Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] New Stuff from GZG!

Re: One Ring To Bind Them

From: "Jeremy Sadler" <jsadler@e...>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 22:47:26 +1000
Subject: Re: One Ring To Bind Them

>Would it be feasible to put a selection on the graphic (make it a tad
>bigger) that shows the list but only shows FT sites, another for SG
>sites, and another for DS2 sites? I'm sure somewhere that when you
>register a site for the list, you could just select what categories it
>would cover, and when the html list was generated for the ring, if the
>user selected that option instead of grabbing the full list, you could
>just grab the ones that had the SG2 tag.

I don't think the webring provider caters for this, though it's been a
while
for me since I've done a webring so I'm not sure. It would sort of be
like
having a "Ring within a Ring".

>Also, would it be hard to write a search engine tool that used the
>ring list as a "target space" and searched those sites and their
>linked pages for what you wanted? ie I want to find leader loss
>checks, but I have no idea they are on Jed Sadler's page. I would love
>to be able to type in "Leader Loss" and somewhere convenient and have
>it spitback results from the ring pages. This would be in preference
>to the use of a full fledged search engine which might or might not
>ever get anything from the ring in its 11456 hits on leader loss.....

Phew! Don't want much do you? :) I guess it's probably feasable. There's
various free search engines that we could play with (Atomz is a good
one, I
use it on the SG2 site) though keeping track of the different domains
would
be a headache. Unless someone complied a Zerohoo or something like that.
(Don't laugh, I just had that idea and I _like_ it... I bags first go!
<grin>)

>Is this possible or at all feasible?

Possible yes. Feasible yes. Difficult - damn right. :)

---
Jeremy Sadler - jsadler@earthling.net
Sub-Editor/Art Director - Frontier: Australian Science Fiction Media
Magazine
http://frontieronline.virtualave.net
Unofficial Stargrunt II Web Site - http://stargrunt.virtualave.net

Prev: Re: IF ship names Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] New Stuff from GZG!