Prev: Re: [OT] Astronomical Inquiry Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] New Stuff from GZG!

Re: [OT] Astronomical Inquiry

From: Tom Granvold <Thomas.Granvold@E...>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 17:33:20 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [OT] Astronomical Inquiry

Beth asked:

> G'day guys,
>
> This is going to sound weird, but I just happened to wonder how
different
> the constellations would be on Mars? I don't just mean exact positions
in
> teh sky etc, but the actual shapes. The stars are so far away, so is
the
> distance between Eath and Mars going to matter heaps?

   Consider this, the diameter of the Earth's orbit is greater
than the difference between the diameter's of the earth's and
Mars' orbits.  Therefore the change in position of the Earth
every 6 months will have a greater effect on how the constellations
will look than going from the Earth to Mars will.   Without using
instruments that can make precise measurments, you won't see any
difference on Mars than on Earth.

Enjoy,
Tom Granvold				<thomas.granvold@eng.sun.com>

Prev: Re: [OT] Astronomical Inquiry Next: Re: [OFFICIAL] New Stuff from GZG!