Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] New Stuff from GZG! Next: [OT] Astronomical Inquiry

Re: Star Maps

From: Laserlight <laserlight@c...>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 20:19:21 -0400
Subject: Re: Star Maps

>> > Phillip Pournelle wrote:
>>
>> >	 Unfortunately, the three D view is not effective
for a campaign map.  Is
>> > it possible to generate a 2D map, perhaps on a hex
sheet, where there are
>> > distortions of the star's actual position,  but
positioned to create a sense
>> > of how far apart they would be for  a strategic view?

How many stars are you thinking of?  If the whole
Nyrath-map, then no.  If you have a fairly small number of
stars, then yes, kind of.

You can determine which plane (x, y, z) has the smallest
difference from minimum to maximum value and make that your
"z" on your 2D map, then just plot your other two
coordinates as the x and y and ignore the z.

Or you can use graduated circles to depict the Z.  Say your
Z covers from +5 to -5 parsecs--use a large circle to
represent +5, a medium at 0, and a tiny one at -5, plus
intermediate diameters to taste.  I don't much like this
because I don't have the patience to draw circles.

Or you can pick the three most important points on your map
(in my case, Alarish, New Arabia, and Huy Braseal, the
latter because it's closest to everything else), plot those
three distances correctly, and fit everything else in as
best you can.

Prev: Re: [OFFICIAL] New Stuff from GZG! Next: [OT] Astronomical Inquiry