Prev: Re: Transport capacities Next: Re: SGII: SAW?

Space Travel Times [campaign FT] - Questions!!!

From: "The Nameless One (aka Thomas Barclay)" <kaladorn@h...>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 00:46:43 -0400
Subject: Space Travel Times [campaign FT] - Questions!!!

IIRC:

There was once upon a time a discussion of how far one could jump, how
fast, how often, etc. and the travel times too and from planets. I know
this varies a lot (the last esp) depending on PSB, but IIRC Jon offered
some thoughts and others expanded on it.

In the end result, what were we left with?

Specifically, I am looking for someone to suggest:

1) Average speed of a military ship over a long-haul transit (in ly or
in parsecs)
2) Average speed of a civilian ship over a long haul transit (ditto)
3) Best speed of a military ship (in ly or parsecs)
4) Best speed of a civilian ship (ditto)
5) How long can the "best speed" be maintained
6) What are the ramifications of pushing this "best speed" period
7) How much time (in hours or days) should one add at either end of the
transit for transit from Jump Frontier to typical habitable planet (a
range of values would do here) for a military vessel (if the eq'n be
based on thrust, then feel free to suggest for T-2, T-4 and T-6
formations).
8) Ditto for civilian ships. (Perhaps they have exactly the same times
in and out, sheerly based on thrust - or perhaps they 'take it easy' to
spare the drives and any passengers).

I'm working on this because I have Nyrath's star data and I want to then
create either one big ass matrix or a bunch of smaller ones showing
average and best speed travel time planet-to-planet for all the known
systems on the starmap.

This means one does not have to calculate this trip every time, and
it'll give us an idea how long an operational logistics tail *really* is
in this universe.

Email me off list, or reply on list though I don't want to bore the list
if this has been considered "done to death".

Tom B
kaladorn@home.com

Prev: Re: Transport capacities Next: Re: SGII: SAW?