Prev: [FT] campaign rules Next: Re: FT-Mobile Suits

Re: [FT]FSE Reinforcements

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 19:44:53 +0100
Subject: Re: [FT]FSE Reinforcements

Roger Books wrote:

> Nice page, I do have one comment about something I doubt would
> make it by the Admirals.
>
> Some of these ships have far too much SM capacity for the number
> of launchers.  12 spaces of SM's with 1 luancher in the Garibaldi
> is rather extreme.  Combats rarely last long enough to get all
> 6 launched.

Two important points here:

1) SM-ER.
2) The Garibaldies were built during the initial years of the 1st Solar
War, so were most likely designed even earlier - large warships don't
build that fast... This means that:
* The missiles (and other weapons as well) used back then were most
likely *considerably* less effective than the ones used in 2183, so SML
engagements could well have been proportionally longer.
* There had been very little space combat of any kind when the
Garibaldies were designed. Early designs using untested weapons tend to
be less than optimal - witness late 19th century ironclads, for example
:-/

I think the Garibaldi class is quite believable. Not what a player who
knows his weapon systems well would have built, but what a real-world
military designer using untested gadgets could build.

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: [FT] campaign rules Next: Re: FT-Mobile Suits