Prev: Campaign Game Next: [FT] campaign rules

Re: Gothic Thrust - comments and questions

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 19:18:54 +0100
Subject: Re: Gothic Thrust - comments and questions

Tom McCarthy wrote:

> Well, addressing some of the easy ones...
>
> >Second, how do the beam dice work in GT? Is it...
> >
> >a) Standard FB dice with re-rolls?
> >b) FT2 dice (ie, *without* re-rolls)?
> >c) FT2 dice, but having to equal or beat the target's armour rating
> >    (same effect on FT dice as screens, with 5+ armour corresponding
> >    to level-1 screens and 6+ to level-2)?
>
> I use c) For example, when rolling against an Imperial Cruiser's
flank (5+
> armour), 5's do 1 damage and 6's do 2 damage.  Further, the 6's allow
> reroll where 4's and 5's do 1 damage and 6's do 2 damage plus a
further
> reroll.

That's not c). That's d): *FB* dice, but having to equal or beat the
target's armour rating :-/ And it makes  beam_analysis.xls completely
out of date :-(

> Quite frankly, I'm less enamoured of rerolls lately (that and SML
attack
> envelopes).  I'm considering playing without rerolls and with 4" SML
> envelopes in vector and cinematic.

You may need to increase the size of the pulse torp back to 5 if you do
this, though. Dropping the re-rolls for beam dice makes it a good deal
even against unscreened targets otherwise.

> >While I'm certainly biased towards the Eldar, downgrading their
> >principal defences as well as their heaviest guns by about 20% each
> >seem a bit... let's call it "biased in the opposite direction" <g>

> While the Eldar are more fragile and a bit less powerful, initial
play shows
> that the modified turn sequence favours them so greatly as to offset
> these disadvantages.

The modified turn sequence make them *less* powerful than they are in
BFG, since their would-be targets have a decent chance of firing before
the Eldar get to move away... Whether or not they are balanced in BFG
is another question, of course <g>

> > Why are all the Eldar Pulser mounts marked with a "2"? If they're
> >supposed to work just like they do in BFG, shouldn't this be a "3"?
>
> I believe the "2" is the range, which I believe is 2 range bands.

OK. Then it needs to inflict 1D6 damage per hit rather than the 1 it
would using the straight BFG mechanics, no?

> >Is the "Reflex Field" symbol only a marker for "Capital Ships", or
> >does it represent an actual system? If so, which?
>
> If I recall correctly, that's the teleporter.

OK. A list of the various GT system symbols on the GT page would be
nice <g>)

Best wishes,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Campaign Game Next: [FT] campaign rules